Records 16 to 20 of 57
Photo 1
Placed By
Date Placed
Photo Date
Flemington Presbyterian Church

Flemington Presbyterian Church

Organized in 1815 as the Church and Society of Gravel Hill, this was a branch of Midway Church. The Rev. Robert Quarterman was the first pastor. The first edifice was built in 1836 on land donated by Simon Fraser. This one was completed in 1852. Named Flemington in 1850 honoring William Fleming, it was separated from Midway in 1865. In 1866 it was admitted to the Georgia Presbytery with the Rev. D.B. Buttolph, pastor; W.E.W. Quarterman, Thomas Cassels, Ezra Stacy, James Laing, elders; S.A. Fraser, L.M. Cassels, deacons. Ezra Stacy was first Sunday School Superintendent. Bell and silver communion service are from Midway Church.

Flemington     GHS 1957      
Fort Morris   Sunbury              
Fort Morris Cannon   Hinesville Liberty County Historic Courthouse            
General James Screven Killed in Battle Here

General James Screven Killed in Battle Here

On November 24, 1778, General James Screven was mortally wounded in a battle fought near this spot.

With General Screven in the action were Major James Jackson, Colonel John White, Capt. Celerine Brusard and Capt. Edward Young, with 100 Continentals and 20 Mounted Miltia, against a force of 400 British Regulars, Refugees and Indians under Col. James Mark Prevost and Col. Daniel McGirth. General Screven died from his wounds the following day.

Erected 1957 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 89-17.)

Midway Intersection of Hwy 84 and Hwy 17   GHC 1957 Needs new base and straighting 08/03/2016  
Gum Branch Baptist Church   Gumbranch Hwy 196 W   LCHS        
©2016 | Liberty County Historical and Cultural Resources | All rights reserved