contains
contains
Records 26 to 30 of 57
 
Name
Photo 1
Text
Area
Location
GPS
Placed By
Date Placed
Condition
Photo Date
Status
Leconte Botanical Gardens   Riceboro At the intersection of Hwy 17 & Sandy R            
Liberty Armory Site

Liberty Armory Site

Returning from the Revolution, the soldiers of Liberty County re-organized themselves into a troop of cavalry, known as the Liberty Dragoons, later the Liberty Independent Troop, the oldest cavalry company in Georgia. In continuous existence since that time, this military company has participated in every war in which this country has been engaged since the Revolution. As late as 1916 the troop served as a cavalry company on the Mexican Border.

When the company went to France in World War I, it was converted to Company B, 106th Field Signal Battalion. In World War II, it became Battery B, 101st Anti-Aircraft Artillery Gun Battalion and took part in the campaign in New Guinea. During the Korean conflict the battery served at Camp Stewart, Ga., and at Camp McCoy, Wisconsin.

At this armory site have taken place some of the most brilliant and colorful tournaments and parades of the Old South.

Hinesville     GHS 1954 Poor, Needs Full Refurbishment   2017 HM Update
Liberty County

Liberty County

Liberty County, an original county, was created by the Constitution of Feb. 5, 1777 from creek Cession of May 20, 1733. It had been organized in 1758 as the Parishes of St. John, St. Andrew and St. James. The theatre of many important events during the Revolution, Liberty County was named for American Independence.

From it all of Long and McIntosh Counties were formed. Samuel Morecock was commissioned Sheriff in 1778. Wm. Barnard became Surveyor, Feb. 17, 1782. Francis Coddington in 1785 was made Clerk of Inf. and Sup. Courts of Liberty, Glynn and Camden Counties. John Lawson was sworn in as Coroner in 1790.

Hinesville     GHC 1956      
Midway Church

Midway Church

Built in 1792, replaced colonial meeting house burned by British in 1778. Sherman's cavalry camped here 1864. Midway settlement produced many of Georgia’s most famous men. (Located at Midway Church, on U.S. 17 at intersectio with Martin Rd., Midway)

Midway US 17 @ The Midway Church   ACHC 1930 Poor, Needs Full Refurbishment   2017 HM Update
Midway Congregational Church   Midway US 17 @ The Midway Church       Needs cleaning   2017; Need Midway Society Approval
©2016 | Liberty County Historical and Cultural Resources | All rights reserved