contains
contains
Records 6 to 10 of 57
 
Name
Photo 1
Text
Area
Location
GPS
Placed By
Date Placed
Condition
Photo Date
Status
Charlton Hines House

Charlton Hines House

One of the first houses built in Hinesville after the town was established and became the county seat of Liberty County in 1837 was that of Charlton Hines, a state senator and for whom the town was named. This house, considerably altered, was built in 1837 on town lot number 33, which faced the Court House. Hines paid sixty-one dollars for this lot.

After Hines' death the house was occupied by his son and was later used as the Hines Hotel. In 1941 the house was moved from its location on Main (originally Market) Street to its present location and converted into apartments. Later it was completely remodeled and used as offices.

The house originally was much larger than it now is and had a piazza across the front. Only the central part of the original house is still standing. An interesting feature of the 1837 interior was a ceiling medallion in the parlor.

Hinesville     LCHS 1998      
City of Walthourville

City of Walthourville History

Incorporated In 1974

Walthourville, Georgia

"Organized By Women, Supported By Men"

Honoring Mayor Lyndol Anderson

The first mayor of the City of Walthourville, who was appointed by Governor Jimmy Carter in 1974. On April 10, 1974 in the presence of a few friends, Attorney J. Noel Osteen Administered the Oath of Office to the mayor. Mrs. Lyndol Anderson and Councilwomen, Mrs. Faye Booth, Mrs. Maxine Gaskin, Mrs. Carrie Kent, Mrs. Ardith Herbert, Miss Celia Davis, and to the clerk, Mrs. Molene Burke at the Walthourville Polling House in Walthourville and was officially elected in the first city election held on December 4, 1974.

The first act of Mrs. Anderson was to donate her $150-a-month salary for the betterment of the city and her all female council quickly followed her example by donating their salaries as well.

These monies helped to finance the installation of the first 40 street lights in the city. Mrs. Anderson and her council were also responsible for the purchase of the first water system for one dollar, the first city license plates, appointing the first voter registration board, organizing the first city clean up day, the first speed limit signs, and purchasing the building which presently houses the city hall and post office. Mrs. Anderson and her council were also honored on national television on the CBS Evening News with Walter Cronkite in 1974 for their accomplishments.

Walthourville     COW 2007      
Colonels Island

Colonels Island

Until about 1778 this island was called Colonel’s Island because of the large number of colonels having plantations here. Major plantations included “Woodville,” “Herron’s Point,” “Maxwellton,” “Suligree,” “Maybank,” “Black Rock,” “Laws,” “Cedar Point,” “Hickory Hill,” “Dunham’s,” and “Melon Bluff.”

Rice and indigo were the principal money crops grown on Colonel’s Island during the antebellum era. During the War Between the States the island was also a source of salt, an essential ingredient in the making of gunpowder.

Long before European explorer’s reached North America Colonel’s Island was a part of the Guale Indian kingdom of the Creek Nation.

Colonels Island Ga 38 at Kings Road on Colonel's Island   LCHS 1996      
Dorchester Academy

Dorchester Academy

Formal education of blacks started with the Freedmen's Bureau in Liberty County. The Homestead School was continued with the aid of the American Missionary Association (AMA) and support of Reconstruction legislator William A. Golding. The AMA started with one acre of land and 77 students in 1870. In 1874, the Reverend Floyd Snelson succeeded Golding at the school. The AMA and Snelson built a new school and named it Dorchester Academy in honor of its Puritan lineage. In 1890, Dorchester Academy started a boarding school. By 1917, the school had eight frame buildings on 105 acres, 300 students, and become a fully accredited high school.

The academic program ceased in 1940, with the construction of a consolidated public school for black youth at Riceboro. All academic equipment plus $8,000 were transferred toward that consolidation. Since, the facilities have served the community under the title Dorchester Cooperative Center, Inc. AMA continues financial support.

Midway Hwy 84   GHS 1983      
Dorchester Academy Boy's

Dorchester Academy Boys Dormitory

In 1948 the American Missionary Association, with the assistance of the local community, expanded the dormitory into a community center, which by 1961 would become the focus for many activities associated with the Civil Rights Movement. The Southern Christian Leadership Conference sponsored Citizen Education Workshops here (1962- 1964), training over 1,000 teachers and leaders, who in turn educated over 10,000 in the basics of voter registration and non-violent social change. Dr. M.L. King, Jr. held a planning retreat here in 1962 to prepare for the 1963 Birmingham Campaign, one of the first major victories of the Civil Rights Movement.

This Georgian Revival building, built in 1934 to replace an earlier structure destroyed by fire, was once part of an extensive school campus begun in 1871 by the American Missionary Association. The school, founded to serve the educational needs of black children of Liberty County and coastal Georgia, closed in 1940 after public education became available to black children.

Midway Hwy 84   GHS 1990      
©2016 | Liberty County Historical and Cultural Resources | All rights reserved